1st Afrika Times International

News

 Breaking News

Burundi President Warns Against Another Coup Attempt // Président Du Burundi Met En Garde Contre Une Nouvelle Tentative De Coup D’État

Burundi President Warns Against Another Coup Attempt    //   Président Du Burundi Met En Garde Contre Une Nouvelle Tentative De Coup D’État
June 01
18:52 2015

Nkurunziza also “called on party members to be vigilant so that the achievements of democracy are safeguarded,” the statement added. File photo
Image by: STRINGER / REUTERS

Burundi’s President Pierre Nkurunziza, whose controversial bid to seek a third consecutive term has sparked weeks of civil unrest and a failed coup attempt, on Monday warned against any fresh move to try to unseat him.

Addressing supporters in his hometown in the north of the country, Nkurunziza thanked those who backed him after a top general launched a failed coup while the president was out of the country in May for a summit.

He “warned any person who tries to take power by overthrowing elected institutions”, saying “any such attempt will go nowhere”, a statement from the ruling CNDD-FDD party said.

Nkurunziza also “called on party members to be vigilant so that the achievements of democracy are safeguarded,” the statement added.

The crisis in Burundi erupted in late April after the ruling party designated Nkurunziza, in power for 10 years, as its candidate in upcoming elections. Weeks of street protests, which were brutally suppressed, left at least 30 dead.

The opposition and rights groups say the president’s third-term bid violates a constitutional two-term limit as well as a 2006 peace deal that ended a 13-year civil war.

Nkurunziza, a former rebel leader from the Hutu majority and a born-again Christian, insists he has every right to stand again because he was elected to his first term by parliament, not directly by the people.

Burundi’s parliamentary elections are currently scheduled to take place on June 5 while the presidential election is slated for June 26.

On Sunday, regional leaders called for the polls to be delayed by at least a month and a half but stopped short of telling the president to abandon his re-election campaign.

Government spokesman Philippe Nzobonariba told AFP that the government welcomed the proposal to delay the polls, adding that his third-term bid was a sovereign issue and that the government now considered the matter “closed”.

Plans by the government to push ahead with the polls have been hit by a string of setbacks, with the influential Catholic Church withdrawing its support and key international donors also suspending crucial aid.

Last week, the election commission’s vice president fled the country.

On Monday, a second member of the five-person electoral board was said by relatives to have gone into hiding, following threats from the Burundian intelligence service.

The election panel has now been left with just three sitting members, effectively stripping it of its ability to take decisions, which normally require the agreement of four members.

The head of the election commission, Pierre-Claver Ndayicariye, said the questions surrounding a possible election delay, as demanded by the regional summit, was “being discussed with the presidency” but that no decision had yet been taken

FRENCH VERSION

Nkurunziza « dite sur les membres du parti d’être vigilant afinque les acquis de la démocratie soient préservées, », a ajouté ladéclaration.
Le Président Pierre Nkurunziza du Burundi, dont l’offrecontroversée de chercher un troisième consécutif terme aprovoqué des semaines de troubles civils et à une tentative decoup d’État manqué, lundi a mis en garde contre toute tentativede frais pour essayer de détrôner lui.

S’adressant à des partisans dans sa ville natale dans le nord dupays, Nkurunziza a remercié ceux qui ont soutenu lui après qu’unsupérieur général a lancé un coup d’État manqué, tandis que lePrésident était à l’étranger en mai pour un sommet.

Il « a mis en garde toute personne qui tente de prendre lepouvoir de renverser les institutions élues », disant « une telletentative ira nulle part », une déclaration du parti CNDD-FDD aupouvoir, a déclaré.

Nkurunziza « dite sur les membres du parti d’être vigilant afinque les acquis de la démocratie soient préservées, », a ajouté ladéclaration.

La crise au Burundi ont éclaté fin avril après que le parti au pouvoir a désigné Nkurunziza, au pouvoir depuis 10 ans, commeson candidat aux prochaines élections. Semaines demanifestations de rue, qui ont été brutalement réprimées, a faitau moins 30 morts.

L’opposition et les groupes de droits dire que soumissiontroisième terme du président viole une limite constitutionnelle dedeux mandats, mais aussi un accord de paix de 2006 qui a mis finà une guerre civile de 13 ans.

Nkurunziza, un ancien chef rebelle de la majorité hutue et unchrétien régénéré, insiste sur le fait qu’il a parfaitement le droitde se présenter à nouveau parce qu’il est élu à son premiermandat par le Parlement, non pas directement par le peuple.

Les élections parlementaires du Burundi sont actuellement doitse dérouler le 5 juin, alors que l’élection présidentielle est prévuepour le 26 juin.

Dimanche, les dirigeants régionaux appelés pour les sondagesd’être retardé au moins un mois et demi mais s’arrêta de dire lePrésident d’abandonner sa campagne de réélection.

Philippe Nzobonariba, porte-parole du gouvernement à l’AFPque le gouvernement félicite de la proposition visant à retarderles sondages, ajoutant que son offre de troisième terme est unequestion souveraine et que le gouvernement considèremaintenant la question « fermée ».

Plans par le gouvernement à aller de l’avant avec les sondagesont été frappés par une série de revers, avec l’église catholiqueinfluente, retire son soutien et les principaux donateursinternationaux aussi suspension de l’aide cruciale.

La semaine dernière, le vice-président de la commissionélectorale a fui le pays.

Lundi, un deuxième membre de la Commission électorale de cinq personnes a été dit par les membres de la famille à avoir entrédans la clandestinité, suite aux menaces proférées par le servicede renseignement burundais.

Le Comité d’élection a maintenant été laissé avec juste troismembres siégeant, effectivement il décapage de sa capacité àprendre des décisions qui exigent normalement l’accord desquatre membres.

Le chef de la commission électorale, Pierre-Claver Ndayicariye, ditles questions entourant un retard possible élection, commedemandé par le sommet régional, « on parlait avec la présidence», mais qu’aucune décision n’avait encore été prise

About Author

Jide Adesina

Jide Adesina

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

Search This Site

The Tourist

Join Us on Facebook

Recent Posts

Nigeria Ruled by Incompetent ‘Saints…Governance by Propaganda and Lies has been Institutionalized by ‘Saints’
Nigeria Ruled by Incompetent ‘Saints…Governance by Propaganda and Lies has been Institutionalized by ‘Saints’

I am a terminal optimist; ‘a believer’ in Nigeria’s future greatness, that is why three years ago, I would not

Read more

 
CCT to resume Onnoghen’s trial February 4
CCT to resume Onnoghen’s trial February 4

The Code of Conduct Tribunal has fixed February 4 for the resumption of hearing in the charges filed against the

Read more

 
Meghan Markle Debuts Her Second Stella McCartney Wedding Dress En Route to Her Reception
Meghan Markle Debuts Her Second Stella McCartney Wedding Dress En Route to Her Reception

Meghan Markle debuted the dress earlier today when she arrived at St. George’s Chapel for her wedding ceremony to Prince

Read more

 

1st Afrika Times TV

WP Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com